Wednesday, May 6, 2009

on a personal note

We had a tragedy in our neighborhood this week. On Monday my neighbors house went up in flames with 2 of her children at home. You might of seen it on the news Monday night. Thankfully her children were outside the house but at one point one of the boys ran in to save the cat. We are so thankful that they are all OK and that the only lost that day was of the house and not the boys.
Why am I telling you this? Well yesterday in a soot covered, water damaged half burnt down house I spent the day helping her collect what little was left. Among the water, insulation and a still smoldering house I was able to collect all of her photo albums and frames filled with family history. Standing in the pouring rain and watching the crane take down half the house I was thankful I was able to do that for her.
As I struggle with the thought of my friend and 4 children being homeless and do whatever I can to help her I realized that I need to pass some information to all of you about how to save and keep safe all of the beautiful photos you are taking. I don't want anyone to feel the pain she felt as she thought "are all my children's photos gone forever and are there any photos documenting them as little children for them to show their children?".
So on that note we will discuss how to save your precious memories in the last class along with some other info I have for you
Give your loved ones an extra hug tonight and be thankful as you lock up your doors to your home and go to bed.
Everyone have a great rest of the week.
Dawn

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your friend, I'm so glad they are safe and I will kepp them in my thougts-
    I have often thought about what I would do if my pictures were destroyed. I was saving them all on CD's and putting them in a safe, but since I have sooo many pictures this becam a very time consuming task. I have since purchased an external hard drive and have been copying my pictures on that for safekeeping. Also putting them all on a site such as snapfish could be very helpful as well

    ReplyDelete